Sunday, March 25, 2007

The Unbearable Lightness of Being...*

...Sick.

Kinda, sorta.

A little bit.

But not really.

* (apologies to the author, and fans, of the book by the same title. Never read it. Have no clue what it's about. Just thought it worked well for my purposes today).

For about 2 weeks now, on and off, Sweetie has been fighting something. A virus of some sort. She's had a fever - it's come and gone - as high as 102.7. At which point she's rosey-cheeked, sleepy and in a general funk. But that's. That's all it is.

Her appetite, which isn't that great to begin with, has waxed and waned along with her fever. She's occasionally looked a little pale as of late.

Every once in awhile she'll complain that her tummy hurts.

But she's still eating, and what she eats has stayed with her.

She's not stuffy. She's still playful. She's still acting just fine.

It's just that dang fever.

Last Thursday I had to pick her up from school only an hour after I'd dropped her off. Her fever had returned - checking in at 101.5. And she was pale.

The rules say she can't go to school if she has a fever or if she's had a fever within the past 24 hours.

So she had to come home.

A couple weeks ago I kept her home from school on a Tuesday because the previous afternoon, her fever was up to 102.7.

But I felt very uneasy with that decision. I knew I was following the rules of the school. But that morning, right before I would have taken her, she didn't have a fever. And she was acting just fine.

Oh, woe is me. Woe is Sweetie.

And since I've picked her up from school this past Thursday - she's been fine. A quiet, somewhat fever-ish day on Thursday. But since - just fine. Playful, happy, silly, and hungry.

At this rate, I don't expect the fever to return until Monday or Tuesday - thus thwarting yet another school day.

Gee, I just love paying for her school when she isn't allowed to go there.

No comments: