Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Happy Eleven.... Er, I Mean Ten

Ten years ago today I was finishing up my first week at my new job... with a date with a cute graphic designer who worked in the same office as me.

Ten years ago today I found myself at a work-related charity silent auction, featuring the band Beatlejuice (R.I.P. Brad Delp). To be honest, I had no idea what a Beatlejuice was - only that a cute guy from my new job had asked me to attend with him.

Ten years ago today I insisted that I'd meet him at the event, rather than give him the convoluted directions to my parents' home - why confuse him with somewhat difficult directions until I find out if there'll be a second date?

Ten years ago - there was a second date.

And a third.

And so on.

Every month for that next year, on the 11th of each month, we'd celebrate with a card, a dinner out, and a celebratory, Happy Eleven! greeting.

Over the last 10 years, there has not been one day that he and I have not at least talked on the phone.

On our first year dating anniversary, we celebrated with a trip to Saint Malo, France, ending with a weekend in Paris.

Almost exactly 2 1/2 years after meeting, we were married on a beautiful New England autumn day.

Later, we bought our old New England farmhouse, signing the closing papers on our 2nd wedding anniversary.

We soon found out our co-worker's cat delivered the two little kitties we'd soon be adopting. They were born right around the time I found out I was pregnant with Sweetie.

Then, of course, Sweetie arrived - just in time for that next year's Christmas!

Our family has grown. Our love has grown - adjusted - settled - strengthened - expanded - but never lessened.

Happy Eleven, Pumpkin Eyes! Still loving you, after all these years.

No comments: