Wednesday, June 01, 2011

Distracted

Hmmmm... Look at that. A whole month went by with not one post. Sorry 'bout that. Guess I've been.... distracted.

Speaking of being distracted (duh!), I've actually been really proud of and impressed by myself of late, as I notice myself working at my various part time jobs. That is, when at each one of my jobs, I am completely able to be fully present. I am not thinking about what I have to do at the other office, or otherwise worrying about anything other than the matter at hand. That, I think, is a skill and a talent. Go, me!

However... in my home life I seem to be nothing but distracted. Yep, I think Sweetie's #1 annoying quality has warn off on me ("You've been up here for 5 minutes and you're just brushing your teeth now? What have you been doing all this time? - "I was distracted!")

We went to the grocery store the other day and I mentioned to Hubby, "Oh! We need juice boxes? Where are they?" - "Right down this aisle on the left at eye level." And then? A half second later? I totally spaced the juice boxes as we pass 'em right on by.

I also happened to not even consider my need for my own breakfast bars - something I regularly buy at every grocery trip. Hmmph.

The other day I was picking up the house, in anticipation of some friends coming over for dinner. One of the things I did (well, intended to do) was take the gift certificate I recently got for my birthday from the stairs to my purse. Well, I picked it up and.... well... When I went to look for it the next day, it wasn't in my purse. After careful and long consideration, hours later, I figured I may have thrown it in the trash instead.

Yep. I found it. In the trash. Thank goodness!

And then. And then! I made rum and Coke drinks for Hubby and I at dinner last night. Eh. They didn't taste quite right. We figured it was just because it was hot out and the ice was melting faster than usual, thus making them taste watery - or something. But, nope. As I took my last sip I realized, "Hey! I never put the rum in these!"

What a complete waste of Coke.

And it's not even like I started making them, walked away for a second, and came back to finish. I just... didn't think about the rum. Bah.

Actually, I'm really too distracted to even write this post. And as I think about it, I do recall on at least a few occasions writing here about how my mind is always one step ahead. When I'm doing one thing, I always think I should be doing that other thing. It's a constant curse with me.

But now it seems to be getting worse. At home.

At work? I'm golden. Totally on task.

I think. Or....

Maybe distracted with all the things to do at work and which to focus on currently....

But all, at least, job related.

That's a good thing, right?

Oh, never mind. Maybe I should have let even more time go by before writing again. That would have been better for all of us, I think.

If you'll excuse me now, I'm sure I've got something else to do now. I just can't think of what that could be...

No comments: