Friday, February 10, 2012

You Can Be Your Hero, Baby

A short post today, but I wanted to be sure to get this down as one "for the books."

As part of Sweetie's homework yesterday, she was assigned to write a letter to one of her heroes, and within the letter she had to use at least 3 spelling words.

She came whining to me that this assignment was "impossible!" "Why?" I asked. "This'll be easy. Just pick someone you look up to. Who do you most admire?"

I was thinking Daddy would be at the top of this list. Maybe even Nana. I didn't honestly see that I would be a contender at all.

And I was right - about me, anyway. But oh so wrong as well. Who did Sweetie answer as the person she thinks is the best, coolest, awesomest of them all?

Herself.

Yep. In response to my question, she merely pointed (assuredly) to herself.

That's my girl!

"Okay, great! You can write a letter to yourself. That'll be fine with your teacher."

Sweetie thought no. No, it wouldn't.

But in the end, she ended up writing a letter to Super (Sweetie) - her favorite playtime superhero to imagine herself as. I actually haven't "seen" or heard word from Super Sweetie in quite awhile. But in this instance, she was the best option for Sweetie to write to, other than herself. :)

It's come up a few times before, actually, that I'll be teasing Sweetie, asking her who she loves most in the world (trying to get her to say me, expecting she'll say Daddy or maybe he and I both the same). But without fail, she always answers by pointing to herself. "I love ME the most of all!" she answers proudly and loudly.

Gotta love a girl who knows herself so well and loves herself so deeply. She's my confident, self-assured superstar. And as I look down into her shining, bright face, I look up to her in so many ways.

You don't think you can write a letter to yourself as your own hero, Sweetie. But I can write to my hero. In fact, it's what I've been doing here for years now and will continue to do for as long as I can.

No comments: