Saturday, May 30, 2009

Sweetie Saturday - Growing Up Too Fast Edition

This week for Show and Tell, Sweetie decided to take her "telephone" she made out of 2 plastic cups and a long string. (Kids are to bring something they made, something that was made for them, something from nature, or something that helps describe them for Show and Tell. I'm pretty sure Sweetie is the only kid who usually does this.) 

To demonstrate her toy, she picked S____ to listen at the other end of the phone. S____ is a cute boy who told Sweetie towards the beginning of the school year (as well as another girl in the class) that he wants to marry her. Obviously, Sweetie likes him back. 

What did you say into the phone to him?

Hi S______. I love you.

(I'm told that everyone then laughed - including S_____ and the teachers.)

-----------------------------------

There's another boy in Sweetie's class who's been picking on her a bit. He's one of the few kids she's labeled as a "bad boy." She often plays "Super (Sweetie)" at recess "with" these boys - as in, she's the super hero who's secretly saving everyone from the bad boys (while they happen to be playing at whatever they're doing.)

Anyway - one of the things Sweetie has told me about this one boy in particular is that he calls her a name. Not really a bad name. Just a boy's name that is arguably a variant of her real name. But it bugs her.

Aw... that just means he likes you. Boys pick on you when they like you.

That was that... until a few days later.

Mommy - I asked D______ today if he likes me and he said no.

Then a few days after that:

Mommy. Today I asked D______ if he DIDN'T like me and he said "I just don't want you to kiss me."

Ha! You haven't been going around kissing boys, have you?

No!!! I haven't kissed anyone at school!

Okay. Just checking.

------------------------------------------

On the weekends, Sweetie knows that she can come wake me up at 7:30 a.m. or later. But more often than not this translates to exactly 7:30 a.m. on the nose. (then she gets mad at me when I'm dressed and wanting to go downstairs with her because she's not done playing in her room yet!) 

A few days ago, Sweetie didn't get me up until about 7:45 a.m. Wow! What a nice surprise!

When I asked her why she got me up so "late" she answered very sincerely:

Well, it's hard to know what time it is when your eyes are closed.

Yes. I do suppose you're right, Sweetie. You got me there.

No comments: