Thursday, December 15, 2005

The Call

I did it. I made the call today to enroll my Sweetie in organized daycare. Yah, it's only going to be for 2 mornings a week, but it's still a big deal to me.

We made the decision to enroll her in daycare, even at these reduced hours, so that she can learn more about getting along and sharing with others her age. She does pretty well around her one good friend and her cousins that she sees often, but other young family and friends whom she sees considerably less is still a challenge for her.

We'd also like peer pressure to kick in a little bit to help her learn to eat more and, hopefully, to potty train. The facility we've chosen does not require their 3 year olds to be potty trained, but they do work closely with the kids and the parents to get the practice underway.

And, as my mom, the nurse, says, it will be good for her to get exposed to germs now, instead of waiting until kindergarten, so that we can hopefully get over and done with some of her nastier sicknesses ASAP.

But it's still going to be very hard for me to leave her on that first morning. She starts in early January - soon. I think she will do just fine with her new surroundings. I, on the other hand, will probably dissolve in a pile of tears.

Why do our kids have to grow up? Can't she stay two forever? There's too much pressure to be three: potty training, sleeping through the night, going to “school” and making new friends.

It’s a lot of responsibility for my little lady. But she can handle it. Can I?

No comments: