Monday, March 20, 2006

Mama Monday #5

Theme: Foundation

You could say that my foundation, literally, is my braces I wear on my legs. They keep me stable and enable me to get around and move forward through my day. They're the first things I put on every morning and the last things I take off each night. Without them, I can't do much more than sit on the couch, asking others to bring me what I need and do the things I should be doing for myself (hey, that actually doesn't sound too bad, does it? Maybe I should try that someday).

But I digress....

Sweetie has never really paid much attention to my braces. Or anything else about my physical disability (my pronounced limp, my walking stick, the fact that I can't carry her around, can't run, etc.). I'm just Mommy. On one hand it's very interesting to me that she doesn't question my abilities more. Especially now that she goes to "school" part time and is that much more exposed to "healthy" people. But on the other hand, I guess she just knows enough about people in general at this point to know that everyone is different and this is the way her Mommy happens to be - not a big deal.

I'd love to get into her mind for a minute to find out what's really going on in there - about this in particular, and many, many other random things as well.

Well, she gave me just a small glimpse this morning. After she woke up I told her to go downstairs to find Daddy - I had to get dressed. She wanted to stay with me instead. So off to the bathroom we went and I sat down to start putting on my braces. Sweetie sat and watched, and even helped.

"Here you go, Mommy. I got your braces for you."

Then she commented that she wanted braces too, to which I said she didn't need braces because her legs were good and strong.

"Ooooohhhh", she said. "But I think Daddy will go buy me some braces at the store."

"You do?"

"Yes. Daddy needs to buy me my own braces."

"Well, we'll have to see about that then."

"Okay."

I would have debated with her more that she doesn't need braces herself but, I assure you, that would have only resulted in a long, repetitive Abbott and Costello-type moment.

I know she'll continue to ask questions, appreciating my differences as she grows and observes each day. And that's a great thing. After all, observing, questioning and accepting are great foundations to a happy, interesting, purposeful life.

1 comment:

Elaine said...

I once heard about a family of puppies where the mama had been in a car accident and lost the use of her back legs. She'd get around by using her front legs and then flipping her hind ones after her. Her puppies all learned to walk this way and it wasn't until they started hanging out with other dogs that they thought to use their hind legs. I think we do what's normal, no matter what that means for us. In her world, braces are totally normal and I can bet she just can't wait to get her own pair! Great post!