Monday, August 07, 2006

Mama Monday #25

Theme: Camp

I'm interested to read all the other posts on the theme of camp, many of which revolve around - you guessed it - camping. I'm interested simply because it's something I'm not very familiar with, so learning about new experiences is always fun.

I've been camping exactly once. It was when I was about 12 years old and I was accompanying my good friend and her family on a weekend full of camp fires, fireflies and port-o-potties. Unfortunately, the family dynamics in this group were less than desirable, especially for someone like me who winces at nearly any sort of confrontation (at least back then. Now I'm learning to stand on my own a bit more and not let other's issues get me down). So, needless to say, I didn't end up having the greatest of times, tarnishing me for wanting to venture on any further camping expeditions (funny, though, that the camping aspect of the weekend wasn't what bothered me as much as the family I was with. But, still, it was an influential trip that ruined the whole camping experience).

Now, my idea of camping is staying at the Econolodge instead of a beautiful B&B. Which, by the way, is exactly what we'll be doing this upcoming weekend. My cousin is getting married on a mountaintop near Burlington, VT. The option is there for wedding guests to stay with the couple and camp out overnight underneath the stars. Maybe a beautifully romantic thought for some, but not for me. Give me a warm bath, a soft bed, a TV and computer access every time, please, and I'll be just fine.

I wish my cousin and her new husband all the love, laughter and happiness in the world, and I am absolutely thrilled for them that they're having the wedding of their dreams (mountaintop reception with volleyball, frisbees and dancing, and camping out with several of their guests under the expansive summer sky). I can't wait to be there to help celebrate their union and honor the love between them on the start of their life journey together.

But you can be sure I'll be off that mountain before the gates close for the evening.

And if you need me, call the local Econolodge.

No comments: