Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Repeat After Me...

...It's only money.

Financially speaking, we have our good days and many more that seem quite bad. Today, it's not so good. But it will be okay. We've been here before and we'll pull ourselves through. After all, it's only money. Life, in general, is pretty dang good.

But do you know how I know things will get better for us in terms of financial management and responsibility? Because of a little something I received in the mail about a month ago. My first request from an outsider for a product review. And here it is:



The Busy Body Book.

Now, I gotta tell you - I love organizers. I'm a scheduler, a list maker. So I happily jumped at the chance to get my hands on this new style organizer. And, so far, I'm not disappointed.

As you can see from the graphic, the pages in this book are arranged to display the 7 days of the week vertically, with 5 open columns running horizontally across the top. What you do with those 5 columns is up to you. Maybe there are five members of your family - great! Each person gets their own place to record the events of their particular upcoming week. Everyone has their own space to note what's going on for them and to see how that jibes with the activities of other household members.

I was planning to use the organizer in this fashion. But then I realized that, while we do have a typically busy schedule, the three of us tend to do most things together. So there's really no need to separate everything out. I had to consider what else I could do with the columns.

Eureka! I could use it as a ledger of sorts. The number of columns is perfect - one for income, and the others for checks written, cash spent, debit card uses, and credit card purchases. The only "downfall" is that there's not enough room to separate out the different store issued credit cards we have. Oh well, I can deal with that and group all of them together. No big deal.

It's only been a couple weeks since I started using it (the calendar is set from August 2006 - December 2007), but so far, I'm loving it. It's so easy to record every penny spent. And because we're being so mindful to note the flow of money in our lives, I'm really hopeful that we'll see a positive result come the end of the month. That is, at the end of 30 days, it should be super simple to calculate out all our gains against all the losses. Hopefully, unlike recent days, we'll see more gain than loss.

So I do definitely recommend the Busy Body Book. It's a fun, functional and creative way to record the events most important to you and your family. Whether that's who's working what hours and who's sporting events are on what days, recording the comings and goings of your financial well being, or anything else you can think of, I'm sure you can find a use that perfectly fits your needs.

To read more information about the Busy Body Book and/or to place an order, check out their website at www.busybodybook.com

No comments: