Friday, August 11, 2006

Sweetie Saturday #20 - Mommy Dissin' Edition

Published just a bit early because we've got an early start Saturday morning on a long weekend trip up north.

Last weekend Sweetie gathered up her Melman the Giraffe stuffed animal (which is actually mine), and her squishy red pillow and climbed up on her Daddy's lap.

You're holding all your things, Daddy - Sweetie, Melman and your pillow. You love your things, Daddy.

Me, coming into the room to find this adorable scene:

So what are my things, Sweetie.

Oh. Here you go, Mommy.

Then she proceeded to climb down off of Daddy and gather up my things to hand to me: a wood spoon and a toy wisk from her cooking set, and the cat comb.

Woo Hoo. Yay for me. I get the hard, sharp and pointy things while Daddy gets the squooshable, lovable things. Boy, am I lucky or what?

(Oh, and by the way? This continued all week. Sweetie remembered and referred to our given "things" on many different occasions.)

____________________________________

At bedtime one night this week I asked Sweetie for my regular hug, kiss & a nose from her. But she said no. So I scooped her up onto my lap and asked,

But don't you love me?

Her answer? No hesitation - just a No.

Then, a few minutes later, she offers up this added bit of information.

I love Daddy a LOT!.... and I love you...a little bit. (with a yeah, I guess that's about right kind of look in her eye.)

Gee, thanks a lot, Sweetie. You sure know how to make a person feel all warm and fuzzy inside. That is, if that person happens to be Daddy.

------------------------------------------------------------

And now for the Sweetie-continues-to-showcase-her-genius-tendancies portion of the post.

Hubby usually reads Dr. Seuss bedtime stories to Sweetie. And on, we'd say, no more than 10-15 occasions, he's read her the story of Too Many Daves.

And now? Sweetie can say THE ENTIRE THING right along with him! Some lines, yes, she needs a tiny reminder of what comes next, but she picks it right up and finishes the rhyme, no problem.

I had the pleasure of listening to Hubby and Sweetie read me this story a couple nights ago. Wow! I couldn't believe it. When Hubby told me Sweetie knew the words, I thought she probably remembered some of the silly names in the story and that's about it. But we were both awestruck when she literally recited the whole story to us, keeping in time with Daddy's reading.

Wanna see what I'm talking about? Here is the complete text to Too Many Daves. Prepare to be amazed!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Just a heads up to my regular readers. We'll be away this weekend, with no computer or computer access available. So there'll be no Sunday post this week. Also, my Mama Monday post will be here, but considerably later on Monday than I usually get it up. Thanks for stopping by, though. I'll "see" you in a few days.

No comments: