Sunday, April 22, 2007

Look! Butterflies! Ahhh - Freedom!

Beautiful Spring Day = A great time for a family adventure!

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What a cool place! A great time was had by all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, enough with the fluff. I've had my little break away from the thoughful posts and I think I'm ready to think again. Thanks to you all for sticking with me through all the nothing. But now - I'm back!

You know what I did yesterday? I officially stopped writing for Audacity Magazine. It was my choice and I feel good about it.

For one thing, with my new Wine Consultant business, I'll hopefully have really busy weekends and no time left over for writing extra (mostly redundant to my blog) articles. So, there's that.

But the other thing is - I just don't feel audacious enough to write for Audacity. I've submitted articles for more than a year now - almost two! Some articles have come easy to me, but most I've ended up writing at the last minute simply because I have to give them something. This has especially been the case lately. I just don't have it in me to give them what they want.

I recently talked to my editor there. This was our 1st over-the-phone conversation we've had since I started writing for her. From her, I learned that her readers basically want to hear more of the knitty gritty of my life. More of the troubles and worries and problems I encounter as a disabled mom raising a healthy child. Or at the very least - write the way I experienced a certain situation, then contrast that with how I imagine other disabled parents could/should handle the same situation.

Basically - she wanted me to recognize that not all disabled parents (or potential parents) have all the support and resources available to them that I am fortunate to have. So it would be great if I could address those concerns and write about "the other side of the coin" - at least every once in awhile.

That's how I took her words, anyway.

I thought about what she was saying. I really did. And I certainly understand that not every disabled person is as lucky (for lack of a better word) as I am to have nearby, supportive family; a loving husband; a healthy child; and a good job. I know this. I also know that lots of disabled adults only dream of having children but because of their particular situations are not able to.

But you know what? That's not my story. I just can't make up problems or worries to write about. And I honestly don't have the time to research all the different avenues the disabled person can take in any given parenting situation.

My editor wondered (in her email back to me yesterday - trying to convince me to change my mind) how I manage cooking and/or shopping as a disabled mom? How do I manage housework? Do I need to take a second job because of anything having to do with my disability?

Basically - she was trying to establsh fodder for all sorts of future articles I could write.

Well, let me save everyone's time and answer her questions right now.

I don't cook - Hubby does.

We either shop as a family or Hubby grocery shops for us. Since he does most of the cooking, so he knows exactly what to buy.

My house is pretty much always a mess. But I am perfectly capable of vacuuming, doing laundry, and general dusting and tidying up around the house. And Hubby takes care of the outside stuff.

I'm taking a second job because it seems like it's going to be a fun way to earn extra money for paying bills.

There - that's it. Exciting stuff, huh? Yeah - I bet you were hanging off the edge of your seat waiting for all the thrilling answers.

Anyway - my point is I personally don't feel so much audacious as I do average. My disability is in no way a major part of my everyday thinking. That is, I don't think about being disabled. My physical condition rarely if ever makes me stop to think how and if I'll tackle a certain situation. I don't personally know anyone else who is disabled (I mean - I do. I am in the Spina Bifida Association of MA, after all. And I've "met" lots of disabled moms through my blog, including my good pen pal friend who has spina bifida just like me. But on an everyday basis, I don't interact so much with other disabled people).

In a nut shell - my life is just normal. At least it is to me. It's my story, my life, and I feel it's the only thing I can competently report on.

And even when I do run into a trying situation or a challenge I'm not sure how I'm going to handle as a disabled mom (because, you know, I do), I'm going to write about it in my typically upbeat, positive-outlook way. That's just the way I roll.

And I think it's what most of you - my kind, courageous, smart and awesome blog readers - like about what I'm doing here in my blog.

After all is said and done, my editor tells me that my column with Audacity is mine to write - whenever I want. If I ever have an article to submit, she will accept it. It's my column to do with as I wish.

That's nice. I appreciate it. Maybe I'll do a quarterly thing. Who knows. But for now it's nice to not have that monthly commitment hanging over my head. Moving on to bigger and better things, I say!

Now - anyone want some wine?

No comments: