Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Lots and Lots of Not Very Much

Uhhhh.... so..... it's Wednesday already, huh? That's nice. I guess to many of you it feels like a short week, what with the holiday and all. But not me - I have Mondays off from work anyway, and I took my Labor Day holiday off from work last Thursday. So this week is just same ol', same ol' to me. Bummer.

So... can't really think of anything to post about tonight. And believe me, I've been trying to come up with something.

Oh! I could write a funny post about how I think all my aches and pains and medical annoyances and life-in-general-hassles are related to spina bifda. Yeah! They've just gotta be, right? Well, no.

I could write about the back and forth discussions Hubby and I have been having over the last few weeks about what to do with Sweetie and her education for the next two years. Does she move up now to the next level at her private day care center, thus solidifying the decision that she must go to public kindergarten next year? Or do we have her repeat the Pre-K program, thus allowing us to decide at a later date whether she'll go to public or private kindergarten next fall? Won't she be bored if she stays back, though? Oops! Doesn't matter. Her teachers think she should repeat this last year because she's not yet ready, socially, to move on. (Grrrrrrr!!! How dare you tell me my child isn't ready to move on! She's clearly awesome and smart! I mean, who cares that that's ultimately the decision Hubby and I reached on our own anyway. But, still. Let's just not talk about it anymore....).

I could reach back into the recesses of my memory and relate more stories that discuss how I managed as a disabled mom to my infant daughter. I mean, that is pretty much why I'm here, right? Well, yeah... but... I can't really think of something right now that I haven't already mentioned somewhere in my archives. So just look there for now, okay?

Or, what about current stuff? What's difficult/challenging for me in terms of raising a pre-schooler? Uh..... not much, actually. I mean, not much related to my spina bifida. It's difficult/challenging to raise a pre-schooler anyway - ask any mom. I just can't think of anything in particular that is particularly more difficult for me and my given abilities.

I could talk about how frustrating it is to me that there is still not much information out there for women with spina bifida interested in having children. It's now been 5-6 years since I was looking for such literature and/or help from the greater medical professionals. But women I've recently been in contact with tell me that this lack of info is, sadly, still very much the case. That's just too depressing to even think about.

On that note, I'd love to tell you how pumped I am to start a revolution to get more and more adult clinics for spina bifida patients established in this country. I know my local SB chapter is prioritizing this for the upcoming year and I hope to be able to help out with that as much as possible. I mean, all us SB kids from the 70's and 80's are all grown up now and, you know, we need some advice and guidance too. But, realistically, I don't know what I can personally do to get a crusade going or how much time I can truly give to the cause (considering the meetings for my local SB chapter occur on typically inconvenient nights for me and - oh yeah - not in my home state). I will try, though, to do what I can. Anybody with me?!

So, see? I tried, I really did. But I really don't have anything to say tonight. Sorry about that. Better luck next time.

No comments: