Saturday, September 08, 2007

Sweetie Saturday #73 - Multi Media Sweetie Edition

Ummm..... I don't think it's much of a secret that Sweetie watches more than her fair share of T.V. At home on the weekends we try to fill our days with other activities. But evenings and Nana Days seem to have a lot to do with all things T.V., videos and the like.

So of course, for the last 3 weeks or so, Sweetie has been asking me almost every day,

When is Labor Day, Mama?

Why? Because that's when the "all new" kids shows start on our local public TV stations.

Sweetie, in fact, had been so excited for Labor Day to finally get here that I once asked her (jokingly)...

Is Labor Day your favorite holiday?

And she answered (seriously and enthusiastically)...

Yes! Because all the new kids shows start!

Come last Monday when the Big Day had arrived, Sweetie happily watched all the great programs - Super Why, Word World and new episodes of Curious George.

Looking at my happy, learning-curious little girl, I leaned over to give her a kiss.

Happy Labor Day, Sweetie.

Happy Labor Day, Mama - as I got a special holiday kiss right back.

----------------------------------------------------------

It always surprises me when Sweetie can be heard around the house singing some of the catchier commercial songs she hears throughout her days.

I want to be one less, one less! O-N-E-L-E-S-S. I wanna be one less!

Wow. I've heard this Gardasil commercial so many times and I don't even think I could spell "one less" as fast or as accurately as those double dutch girls - or Sweetie - can do it.

I've also heard Sweetie singing Blondie's One Way or Another and wondered how in the world she knows that one? Oh, that's right. It's in a Dannon Fruision commercial.

She also really digs this commercial for Chips Ahoy cookies. Hubby and I once told her they were singing an 80's song. So now every time Sweetie sees this she tells us,

Look! Those silly cookies are singing The 80's Song!

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Still, sadly, on the same subject (in a round about sort of way) - I asked Sweetie the other day what she wanted to be for Halloween.

A cat!

A cat? Okay.

Yeah - I want to be a cat.

That's fine. And what would your kitty cat name be?

Ummmm.... Rhianna.

Rhianna? How'd you think of that name? (I have a cousin-in-law named Rhianna, but Sweetie's never met her and I very rarely - if ever - talk about her.)

I don't know. I just had it in my mind already. Yeah - it was in my mind and I said it, so now it's out of my mind. But - it's still in there too. I just knowed that name Rhianna already!

Well, okay then. Let's just hope that the few occasions I've showed Sweetie my cousins' blog was the miraculous inspiration for how Sweetie got this name in her mind. And not, you know, this video by Rihanna that features a song Sweetie really has taken a liking to.

--------------------------------------------------

Speaking (still) of songs, the most time we ever spend listening to songs is when we're in the car. Unfortunately, we spend a lot of time in the car (as we live a good distance from most things we have to and want to do in this world). So, whenever we're anywhere else (the grocery store, the doctor's office waiting room, or watching singing shows on T.V.) and Sweetie hears a song she recognizes, she always excitedly tells me,

Hey mom! I know that song! It's a song in our car!

Yeah, that's our car alright - one big ol' song-playing machine.

----------------------------------------------------

Bad news - Sweetie got one heck of a splinter in her toe last weekend. She was very brave, though, while I worked to get that sucker out. She, of course, screamed her ever lovin' head off. But she was kind enough not to kick me in the face one bit while I dug around in her toe with a pin for about 10 minutes.

However, last night when Sweetie went to put her jammies on, I noticed that besides from her whole self being all sweaty-like, her feet were A) incredibly dirty and, B) (looking closely at her toe) still splinterized (I guess I didn't get it all out after all). This meant another unfortunate round of splinter hunting action. Oh, yippie!

Again, even though Sweetie did NOT much care for this, she was pretty good and pretty brave.

As her reward, I told her she could take a bubble bath and add some of my chocolate-scented bath salts to the water too - even though it was now 8:45 pm and she should be getting into bed, not into a tub. (Hey - don't judge! A) Sweetie likes baths - especially chocolate scented bubbly ones - so this was definitely an awesome reward for bravery in her eyes. And, B) yes, Sweetie typically goes to bed later than the average 4- year old. Note the "much time in the car" thing I mentioned earlier. We have long days, long commutes, and late suppers. So Sweetie gets to stay up a bit after we eat before going to bed each night.

Aaaannyway....... ALL this to say that, after Sweetie's bath, she and I watch a little of the Fashion Rocks concert (Now, I couldn't send her to bed with a soaking wet head, could I?). First performer up? Fergie - the very singer who sings one of Sweetie's favorite songs - Big Girls Don't Cry. Of course, Fergie didn't sing that song. But she did sing Glamorous, which Sweetie recognized instantly from this singing superstar's performance on So You Think You Can Dance (oh, and I also think it's in a commercial too. As is the Big Girls Don't Cry song. Yeah, that's right - more commercial hooks for Sweetie to get her groove on to).

Then a couple performers later - Avril Levigne, who sang Girlfriend. Now I was the one to remember watching a dance number to this song on SYTYCD. And Sweetie remembered too, once I reminded her. Then she added,

Yeah! And I know this song too because it's in the car!

No comments: