Wednesday, October 24, 2007

One Too Many Coconuts Boppin' Me On The Head

Sweetie read Chicka Chicka Boom Boom to herself on the car ride home from Nana's this afternoon. Only a handful of words made her pause, asking me for help.

Mama, what's this next word?

I don't know. How do you spell it?

t-h-e-i-r

their.

Oh. Okay. Thank you, Mama.

This went on for awhile and I was impressed with how infrequently she stopped to ask me about other words. But there were others:

Mama, what's this word? s-k-i-n-n-e-d?

"skinned". Like you skinned your knee.

Oh.

30 seconds later....

What's this word? k-n-e-e?

k-n-e-e?

Yeah.

Nothing. That's not a word.

Yes it is! What is it?!

Oh! Knee! That's the word "knee". Sorry about that, Sweetie.

Come on - give me a break. It's hard to drive and spell at the same time.

No comments: