Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Thanks, Sweetie. You're The Best.

Dear Sweetie -

I am so exceptionally proud of your unmitigated bravery, deciding without question that you'd take yourself downstairs, all the way across the house, to the corner bathroom just to fulfill your early morning desire for a cool cup of water. A walking tour done all alone, in the darkness of 3:45 a.m this morning.

You wasted no time, you got the job done, and you even took yourself back to bed. Well done!

However, you didn't have to wake me up to alert me to your plan. 

No. Really. You didn't.

Nor did you have to come back to me at 4:45 a.m. to tell me about the "nightmare" you had. And from your extremely wordy, extremely energetic, mama-I'm-fully-awake-right-now description, it really didn't sound to me like it was all that scary. Not that I can accurately remember everything you said as I walked you back to your bed. Something about playing Fetch with Ruff Ruffman, only Ruff wasn't there, so you were the host, so it was really Fetch with (Sweetie) and there were cats who were mad at you for some reason or another and they hissed at you and that was the scary part. And it was going to be a long dream so that when you fell asleep again you'd certainly see the scary cats again.

Whatever. Just stop talking, Sweetie. Relax and think about nice things. The dream won't come back because you already stopped it by waking up. 

Oh, you didn't know that? You're welcome. Glad I could explain that to you. Sweet dreams, Sweetie. Stay in bed.

And thank you, Sweetie. For staying in bed for yet another whole hour. It wasn't until 5:45 - after Daddy's first wake up alarm went off - when you came back to me, explaining that, yes indeed, you can in fact keep dreaming about the bad dream.

Oh well. At least that visit was very short lived. Just a quick update from you regarding how your non-sleepiness is proceeding. In case I was interested. 

Yes, very much so. Thanks. And now that Daddy's about to get up in less than 10 minutes, I suppose there's really no hope of me - or you - getting any more sleep tonight. 

No. Really. Three and a half hours is all I need. I am Mama! I am invincible! I have been wide awake since 3:45 a.m.!

This is going to be one fun day. 

But then... remarkably... Daddy got out of bed and you didn't come running. I anticipated your arrival with every downstairs noise Daddy made. I was awake anyway, so after awhile I turned on my light and did some crosswords. Surely you're going to show up very, very soon.

But you didn't.

Thank you.

I finally grew sleepy again, turning out my light around 7 a.m. I slept a glorious sleep for the length of one full hour.

8:00 a.m. and all is quiet.

But - 8:00 a.m. and all, certainly, cannot remain quiet for long. On again with my light. Back to my crossword puzzles. Time much better spent than the earlier, darker hours. Nothing much to do then but to worry (uh, I mean wonder) about whether I will or won't get a certain positive phone call this week.

When is that phone call going to come, anyway??!!! And will it, in fact, be a positive one? At 4:15 a.m., one can never feel too good about such things.

So thank you for that time, Sweetie. Really. I was able to complete about five or six puzzles before I finally decided to get out of bed. At 8:55 a.m. 

I'd have stayed put longer. But I know you. You're "instructed" to get up each morning at 7 or 8 a.m. It is ALWAYS 7:00 a.m. when you exuberantly come to my bedside every day. Perhaps as late as 7:05 a.m. Never later.

Until today.

I knew if I let the clock pass 9:00 a.m. that you would collapse besides yourself

I'm supposed to get up at 7 or 8! Now it's 9:00! I did it wrooooooonnnnnnggggg!!!!!!

So I got myself up at 8:55 a.m. Not to wake you up directly (I do know better than to wake a sleeping Sweetie). But perhaps my movements and noises would "naturally" arouse you from your slumber.

I was right.

Just before 9:00 a.m. you happily came to greet me in the bathroom. Amazed with yourself that you slept past 7, all the way to 8! Yet not even mildly upset with yourself for doing so.

Just the way I like it. Thank you.

Our day together proceeded nicely. I mean, if you take away your fall off the "tomato wall", wherein you completely tore up your lower right leg. And then if we try to forget about your hot, bothered and desperately thirsty, whiney car ride home from our otherwise fun playground playdate with H_____ and her mom. 

Heck! I was hot, bothered and thirsty too. I understand. Next time, we'll be smarter and bring cold refreshments with us.

At least you didn't fight with me about leaving the playground - instead asking me to please let us leave so we could buy some drinks on the way home.

But, yeah. Other than those issues, our day was very nice. You even handled your dentist appointment with your typical humor and great every day! attitude. 

Oh! And four more loose teeth??!!! Two teeth now gone, two more rather wiggly, and another two just starting?! And the beginning appearance of your 6-year old molars trying to come on in?! What a wild and crazily active mouth you've got goin' on there, girly! Good job on that!

But anyway. Tonight? Can we please try to have a more sedentary time of it? Cuz, I mean, I don't know about you, but I was all about the sleep and the good dreams and the comfy bed last night. 

Right up until 3:45 a.m. when you made your very brave, very determined announcement regarding your lone journey to the downstairs corner of our house.

Next time - just keep it to yourself.

Thank you.

Loving you always,

Mama


No comments: