Monday, July 07, 2008

Mama Monday #31.1

Theme: Hear

So my friend, Shanta Everington, has done it again! Her second novel, Give Me A Sign, just became available for purchase last week. And if I were you, I'd certainly go out and get a copy!

Give Me A Sign is the story of Liz and Doug, outcast schoolmates who find each other and develop a life changing bond. Despite their obvious differences (for one thing, Liz is hearing, Doug is hearing impaired), they discover just how similar they really are, and how much they need each other's time, understanding and love in order to grow as individuals.

Shanta's writing had me hooked from the start. I couldn't put down this story of first love (for Liz), typical teen angst (dealing with school bullies, wanting to fit in), and personal struggles (Doug's desire to find a place in the hearing world, to not be "Deaf with a capitol D", yet ultimately suffer certain loss from the trying).

Liz and Doug are a powerful couple, each partner pushing the other to work harder than they've ever worked before. At face value, these extra measures seem to be for the benefit of the other person. Yet in the end, it is the changes that have happened within themselves that makes this the moving, tear-jerking story it is.

I love Shanta's ability to speak so eloquently from both sides of the coin. I felt Liz's pains and annoyances as well as I've ever felt my own. Likewise, I was able to relate to Doug's conflicting thoughts and concerns without any problem.

My one negative about Shanta's writing is this - I found her language to be a bit to Brit. It was somewhat difficult for me to understand the slang words that Liz, Doug and the other Londoners used throughout their easy conversations. But you know what? That's okay. Both Shanta and her characters live in England, after all. So whereas I had some challenges in the translation, at least I can't say that her characters aren't as real as can be.

Oh, and one more thing - I was sad to see it end. The story came to a conclusion, but there's definitely room for growth. I wanted to continue on right then, discovering along with the characters just how the rest of their lives' stories played out.

So please "hear" my words and buy this book. It's a quick, easy read with a deceptively powerful message. I loved it and I know you will too. Enjoy!

No comments: