Saturday, October 14, 2006

Sweetie Saturday #27

I was helping Sweetie with an activity book recently. We were looking at an alphabet page in which a different object illustrated each of the different letters. Most of the objects were recognizable, but Sweetie questioned a few.

What's that, Mommy?

That's a unicorn. Unicorn starts with U.

At that her eyes lit up and she excitedly exclaimed,

A unicorn! I was a unicorn! I dressed up like a unicorn the other day! On the other day when we went outside with your visitors and walked all around!

Yes, you're absolutely right, Sweetie. You were a unicorn for Halloween last year.

The outside walking around with your visitors she's referring to is last year's Keene Pumpkin Festival. Our friends (who sometimes come to our house to visit) live in Keene, so every year we head on out for the day and have some good Fall fun looking at all the jack-o-lanterns, drinking hot chocolate and cider and eating yummy baked apple rings. This year's Festival is next Saturday. We can't wait!

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Our friends, mentioned above, are named Mark and Cricket (yes, Cricket. It's a nickname she picked up as a child and it's stuck all these years). On our way home from my cousin's wedding this summer, we stopped in to visit them and go out to dinner.

Sweetie, Hubby and I headed to the restaurant in our car and met Mark and Cricket, who had driven their own. As we got out of the car, Sweetie wondered where our friends had gone.

Where'd Crick and Market go?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

As I mentioned in an earlier post, Sweetie claims not to have missed us while Hubby and I were away on our cruise. Oh, really???.......

This past Monday, as usual, was a Mommy and Sweetie day. When her Daddy got home from work that evening, Sweetie was so excited to see him that she ran up, calling his name, and gave him a big hug.

Hi Sweetie! I missed you.

I missed you too, Daddy.

Huh. Eight days away and she doesn't miss us. Eight hours and she does. Whatever.

Another thing - dropping her off at school this week has been torturous. On Tuesday she acted as if she was walking to her death sentence - head hung low and slow tiny steps. It took awhile to get her into her classroom and, once there, all she would do was sit on my lap and declare over and over that, I don't want to be here. Finally the teacher came to my rescue, scooped Sweetie up and I headed off to work as my Sweetie screamed and cried, Mommy! I want my Mommy!!!! (Five minutes later, I'm told, she was fine and had a great day).

Similarly on Thursday, she also didn't want to go to school. But this time the fight started at home. Then, when we got to her school, she wouldn't get out of the car for me. She unbuckled herself from her carseat and scooted over to the far side of the back seat, crying all the time that, I don't want to be here!

I finally said that if she didn't come with me I'd have to call one of her teachers out to the car to take her inside, and I started to reach for my phone (which, it turns out, I didn't have with me). Sweetie didn't want the teacher to come, though, so she reluctantly walked in the building with me. Again with the crying and carrying on once we reached her room. But this time the teacher was much more quick to help me out. She took the screaming Sweetie and I left. Another instance where, I'm told, two minutes later Sweetie was fine and all smiles for the rest of the morning.

Anyway, this was so frustrating for me, considering I'm not able to physically pick her up and make her go places she may not want to go, and heartbreaking as well - how could I leave my Sweetie when she's calling so desparately that she wants to be with me?!

Every school day when I get to work I call my mom to tell her that Sweetie's all set. Likewise, I called her these past two instances, this time complaining/worrying about Sweetie's behavior. But my mom said not to worry too much about it. It's probably just Sweetie's way of "getting back" at us for leaving her last week. She may say that she didn't miss us. And, true, the vacation week itself went very smoothly for both Sweetie and my parents. But now that we're back to the regular routine, Sweetie probably just wants to make sure that we won't be leaving her again for an extended period of time anytime soon.

Yeah, okay. I guess I buy that. I just hope Sweetie's okay with playing with Grammy and Grampy for a little while today while Hubby and I go off to the NH Blog Con dinner. Because it seems to me that all she wants is to be at home or at Nana's house. Everywhere else - especially without Mommy and Daddy - is no good at all. Only time will tell.

No comments: