Monday, May 28, 2007

Mama Monday #60

Theme: Grace

Sweetie was crying the other night. She was upset because, as she put it, she didn't look good - her hair had floppy curls, not circle curls (meaning her head wasn't all over curls, just combed neat so that the curls were only at the ends of her hair).

Her distress - or the way she put it - really disturbed me. At her age - only 4 years old - she thought she didn't look good. What does she know about being concerned with her looks?!

A lot, I guess. Hmmmm. I don't think I like this.

Lord knows I'm not a graceful person. Largely due to my disability, I am always falling down and tripping over myself (although Hubby does say I fall very gracefully. I do know how to fall! I've had a lot of practice.). My feet are always getting out from under me.

Sweetie is already much more graceful than I am in the way she is able to move her body. I'm grateful for that, but it's not my biggest concern with how she grows up.

I want Sweetie to be a graceful, gracious person from the inside out. I want her to know that it's not what she looks like, it's not about having floppy or circle curls, that makes her an attractive person. With my husband and my combined family genes, there's no doubt in my mind Sweetie will grow up to be a tall beauty of a woman.

I just hope we can instill in her a strong sense of grace and duty. To be courteous and well mannered. To look out for the welfare of others. To do what she can to make this world - her world - a better place.

If she can do that - and I feel certain she can - then that state of grace will beautify her being and her life, as well as the lives of others.

Really - what more could a mother ask for?

No comments: