Wednesday, May 02, 2007

My Moment

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

What perfect timing! I was just considering writing about the following, when I got the notice from Maya's Mom to write a post about My Moment. Okay! Will do.

This coming Sunday I'm meeting with my book club, as we do once a month. It's always so much fun, very opinionated, and a lively discussion to say the least. We've been meeting for a year now - in fact, this Sunday is our 1 year anniversary as a group. Happy anniversary to us! We're a small group of ladies - there are only 6 of us - but we do have fun. I'm so very glad my friend and I decided to start this club and that we've been able to meet and become friends with such smart and wonderful women.

Directly after our Sunday morning meeting, most of us (save my mom, who's also in the book club) are hopping in a car and heading on down to Boston for the afternoon to see Respect - A Musical Journey Of Women. After which, we'll go out for a bite to eat. It's going to be a long day, but a fun one. I cannot wait!

Hubby will be on full-on Daddy Duty all day while I get to have My Moment with my friends, celebrating our roles in this life as women, wives, daughters, sisters, friends, workers, mothers, and so very much more.

Thinking about this Sunday adventure, I realize that not only has it been a long time since I've done anything like this, it's actually going to be the first time since having Sweetie that I've taken an entire day away, just for myself. No, check that - it may be the first time ever in my adulthood for me to go out with girlfriends and have A Day.

Until now, I've always been too busy for friendships, too shy, too awkward, too self conscious, too - I don't know, just too. In college I actually found it easier to be friends with guys rather than girls. Later, in the workplace, other than my now Hubby, I never particularly latched on to anyone, forming any stronger bond than casual work friend. It really wasn't until I became a mom that I reached out to other new moms and started to make some really great friends.

And now - Happy Mother's Day to me! I told Hubby, with all sincerity, that my day out on Sunday is my Mother's Day gift. Sure, I decided to go and I paid for my ticket. But we share the money, so any random gift he would have come up with would have technically come out of my wallet as well. Having a day out with The Girls is a gift to me unlike any material object he could present to me. It will be a time to hang out, connect, laugh, share and just 'be".

After all, I've always told Hubby that my most favorite gifts from him are experiences - give me a surprise trip or a spa gift certificate over a new sweater or a plant any day. Things get old, get lost, or die. Experiences create memories you can cherish forever.

So - My Moment is coming. My Moment will last an entire day. Sure, My Moment will take me away from Sweetie for longer than I've been away from her in a long time. But she's in good hands - I know she'll be thrilled to have a Crazy Daddy and Sweetie Day. And it will feel that much sweeter to wrap her and Hubby in my arms when I return - refreshed, rejuvenated, and ready to face another day.

No comments: