Saturday, December 29, 2007

Sweetie Saturday #89

Hmmmm.... with all the birthday and Christmas activities going on lately, you'd think I'd have a plethora of Sweetisms to share with you. But the only one I can think of right now is how, after I read her one of her new stories the other day, Sweetie thanked me and told me:

You're so kind.

See? Cute, but not really funny.

Oh - and she's also a bit interested in nicknames now. She saw me wrap one of Hubby's presents, addressing it - appropriately - to "Hubby". She wanted to know if that was Daddy's nickname.

Yes, it is. Just like your nickname is Sweetie.

Yeah!

Then, a few days later, when Sweetie was telling Daddy what his and her nicknames are, I asked about mine.

Hey - if you both have nicknames, than what about me? What's my nickname?

Sweetie only took half a second to come up with something.

Curly!

Yay. Good for me. Sounds great.

Oh! I guess I have more too - I just remembered...

Sweetie was humming a Christmas tune the other day when she stopped to tell me,

Hey Mom - did you know that "(Sweetie) The Helpful Reindeer" sounds just like "Rudolf the Red-Nosed Reindeer" when you hum it?

-------------------------------

The only other thing I can think to mention today is Sweetie's general behavior over the last week or so. Well - maybe not her behavior, exactly (she's been a pill). But her amazing lack of greediness/neediness during this overwhelmingly celebratory time of year.

Despite what you may think of my last post, I too am really not a greedy/materialistic person. Sure, it wasn't too many years ago that I made up long lists of Christmas wishes. But for the last few years - I really haven't cared. I really haven't asked for much at all. Here are a few things I need and/or I might find pretty cool. Otherwise, give me an experience-based gift over a physical gift anyday.

I say all this because it seems, perhaps - if I'm lucky - that Sweetie has adopted this way of being from me.

Case in point -

On her birthday, after visiting with Santa, we went to the mall's food court for a Burger King dinner - Sweetie's request. But when I and Hubby were done eating, we encouraged Sweetie to hurry up.

Come on, Sweetie. We've got to get home and open your birthday presents!

Not yet! I'm still eating!

She wasn't focused at all on her gifts. She was in-the-moment.

Then, when we did arrive home and I sneaked her gifts into the living room when she wasn't looking, she didn't even notice them when she came in the room. She seemed to not even think about her birthday anymore - taking out her old toys to play with instead.

We had to purposefully ask her, What do you want to do now, Sweetie? On your birthday? Do you see anything interesting piled up on the coffee table?

I mean, it really took a lot of coaxing to get her to look at, and find, her presents that night. Presents that were right there in full view.

Of course, once she saw them, she was really excited and had them opened in no time flat.

Likewise on Christmas morning. Her 78 Toy (the scooter) was right there in plain view, next to the tree. But she totally skipped past it, preferring to go straight for her stocking. It wasn't until about half-way through her stocking when she mentioned that there wasn't, as of yet, a 78 Toy to be found. That's when Hubby and I made her look closer at the presents under - and next to - the tree. Even then, she finally saw, and was excited about, the scooter. But it took more prompting still to get her to notice the large 78 license plate.

Ya know, though? All this is just fine with me. She can be just as not-concerned about receiving presents as she wants to be for as long as she wants to be. That's a perfectly fine trait to have, as far as I'm concerned.

However - there is a downside to all this. A pretty big one, actually. But I'll not get into that right now. Let's just keep the good vibes going for a little while longer, shall we?

Yes, we shall.

No comments: