Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Ooo eee, Ooo eee Baby

Ooo eee, Ooo eee Baby
Won't you let me take you on a sea cruise?


Why, yes, thank you. I think I will.

Yippee! Hubby and I booked ourselves a cruise to Bermuda! We'll be going for our anniversary in early October (well, actually we'll be back in town for our anniversary proper. But at least we both still have that day off from work to recuperate from our AWESOME CRUISE!!!!).

Y'all don't understand just how cool this is. I mean, of the two most recent "vacations" we've taken - the last one was a long weekend to the Berkshires the summer before I had Sweetie. It sounded like a great, romantic place. And it looked beautiful on the internet. But in actuality it was pretty boring. Which is fine and all if you want to relax, which we did. But SOME interesting activity would have been nice to capture our attention.

Oh, and the "vacation" we took before that was driving my grandfather's old, in-danger-of-stalling-everytime-we-slowed-down Ford Tempo back to New Hampshire from Ohio after his funeral. Fun, fun. (actually - besides from the whole point of the trip in the first place, this was a pretty fun trip. We visited my home town of Cleveland, OH, saw the house I grew up in, went to the Cleveland Zoo, then drove on through NY, through the Finger Lakes region where we stayed overnight and visited several wineries. What a beautiful area - would love to return someday).

But - come on. A long weekend and a trip home (the long way) from my grandfather's funeral do not true vacations make. It's time. And the price is right. So we're going. Woo hoo! (oh, sorry. I meant - ooo eee!)

Neither of us has ever been on a cruise before. We've been cautioned not to eat for the entire week leading up to the trip because of all the food on the boat. Cool! I'm just looking forward to relaxing with a drink in my hand, watching the world go by and eating 'til I can't eats no more. You see, I'm not too big on actual activity - water sports, hikes, wild club scenes, etc. I'm sure, since it will all be available to us on the boat and on the island, we'll end up taking in our fair share of activities. But, really, I'll be happy just to "be".

When I think about it, a cruise is really the perfect vacation for me. I don't have to walk much to get anywhere. I can just sit on my lounge chair, take in some rays, and - voila! - I'm in Bermuda! Once there we can tour around the island, take our time and chill. Little to no physical stress to physically disabled me. Sounds good.

Cuz, you know, we've been toying with the idea of taking Sweetie to Disney World. I've been before, but neither hubby (nor Sweetie, of course) have. I SOOOOO want to go back. But the last time I was there I was 16 and went with my mom and my aunt. I got around the park via wheelchair. Not because I really needed it - it just made things easier and enabled us to go faster and see more things in a day without me tiring too quickly from too much walking. But, as much as it was useful to use the wheelchair there when I was 16, it would be downright crucial to use it as a 30-something year old. I'd do it, of course, but I hate feeling/looking different. I don't want to have to spend my vacation in a wheelchair. For my Sweetie - yes, anything. But - well, you know.

So anyway - a cruise. Yah, that'll do. Just my speed. The only drawback is - no Sweetie. :(

Yah, I know. I'm already crying over this. Eight days without my Sweetie!!!!! She'll be with my parents, so I know she'll be in good hands. But, boy will I miss her! The longest we've left her before was for, I think, 3 nights and that was very hard on me. (oh yeah. I guess that was a mini-vacation - to Montreal. Oops - forgot about that. Obviously it wasn't much to speak of, or remember fot that matter. But - now that I am thinking about it - you know why it wasn't much fun? Because my back hurt so badly that all we did was hole up in our hotel and its underground mall. Even that amount of walking really did me in). Anyway, Sweetie was only just over 1-year old at the time, so she didn't really care. But I cried. That was hard.

Now, for this time around, she'll be close to 4 years old and will be well aware that we're leaving her behind. She loves Nana and Papa Dave's house, though. I know she'll have fun and be totally fine. But it will still be very hard.

I'll just have to use the boat's email service EVERY DAY and send and receive emailed pictures so we can still be "close". Hopefully that will help me feel better about not having her there with us.

That, and the Midori margaritas I plan to have in my system at all times. That will probably help too. :)

No comments: