Monday, May 12, 2008

Mama Monday #23.1

Theme: New

Back when Sweetie was a tiny baby, I had a conversation with one of my sisters-in-law, herself a mom of two (at the time): a 4-year old and a 1-year old. I remember her making the comment that she still considered herself to be a "new mom".

What? You're not a new mom, I thought. You've got two kids! You've got your "mom thing" down pat.

Now, here I am, a mom to 5-year old Sweetie. Now I can no longer call my self a new mom.

Or can I?

Sweetie is my only child. She will always be my only child. Every new thing she does, every new milestone she hits, every new skill she learns, every new frustration she puts me through, everything - it's all new. New for her, for me, and for her Daddy. It always will be.

Parenting is an adventure - a thrill ride. For those parents who have more than one child - well, perhaps they at least feel a little more secure on the ride the second time around. Or is it that the second (third? forth? more?) child presents different, not-so-secure bumps in the path along the way? At any rate, I imagine there's some sense of security, comfort and familiarity when siblings are added to the mix.

But for parents of single children - like Hubby and I - parenthood is one long, exciting, sometimes smooth/sometimes bumpy adventure ride with new thrills at every turn. Nothing grows old for us. Nothing is "been there/done that". Everything is amazing. Everything is new.

Until the end of my days, I will always be a new mom. Every one of Sweetie's "firsts" will be a first for me as well.

I will grow old. But thanks to Sweetie, I will experience many, many new parenting firsts along my life's path.

Thank you, Sweetie. Life with you is, and will always be, one fantastic journey.

No comments: