Saturday, January 06, 2007

Sweetie Saturday #39 - It's The End Of The World As We Know It Edition

We live in New England. And it's January. We should be buried under mountains of snow and suffering through sub-freezing temperatures right about now. But instead? It's in the freakin' 60's, people! And the only thing we're suffering from is dreary rain and a somewhat still stuffy nose (that last one's just me). This crazy weather - sure, it's nice and all not to have to worry about ice and snow. But I'm tellin' ya - it's just not right. Not right at all. Surely Armageddon is right around the corner. I'm just sayin'.

Still, through it all, Sweetie remains her typical sweet and funny self...

I've been prepping Sweetie for my upcoming surgery and for her role in my recovery. I've told her that I'm going to have to stay in the hospital for a couple days, then when I come home I'm going to be really, really sore and will need her help to take care of me and be a good girl for me and Daddy. I've also told her how she'll not be going to school while I get better so she can stay home and help me get well.

So this past Monday evening I mentioned to Sweetie how the next day was a school day.

And then I'll come home and take care of you after the dentist?

What?

Oh... I mean the hospital.

Oh, yeah. But not yet. In a couple weeks.

Then one night at dinner, out of the blue, Sweetie asked me...

Are you sore, Mommy?

Huh?...... Oooohhhh... No, I'm not sore yet. But I will be pretty soon!

Oh. Okay.

------------------------------------------------------------

Last weekend we went to Target to make some Christmas exchanges. With our store credit, I got Sweetie a new story for her T.J. Bearytales and told her she could get something new for her kitchen as well.

We gave her the choice between 3 wooden toys - a working toaster with toast, a wire basket of foods, or a birthday cake that you could "cut" into pieces, put candles on and/or other treats.

She chose the birthday cake. And she was sure about her choice. How do I know? We asked her about 3 or 4 times.

Yes. The birthday cake. I'm sure that's what I want.

Well wouldn't you know, after playing with it for about 10 minutes back at home, Sweetie deemed it the absolute worst choice she could have made and threw a 45 minute fit over how she wanted the basket of food instead.

I don't remember how it all went down, exactly. Because I know at first we were telling her she could either keep the cake or take it back to the store and get nothing. But somehow we took pity on her (I think Hubby looked more closely at the cake and could understand what a not-very-exciting toy it was). So we ultimately told her that, if she could be very good for a whole week, then at the end of that time we could talk about maybe trading in the cake for the food basket.

So, guess what today is? Yup - she's made it through the week pretty well behaved. And she knows it. She came in our room this morning and excitedly asked...

Is it O Store Day?!

She ain't no fool. She's been working hard at being good, so it looks like we'll be making that exchange today after all. Let's just not remind her about that toaster, m'kay? Cuz there's no way in heck she's pulling this I changed my mind game again.

------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and another thing about this morning.... Last night I put Sweetie to bed, telling her that she could get up in the morning at 7 or 8.

Okay.

So who strolls in our bedroom at 6:37 this morning? You know who.

Sweetie, it's still only 6. Can you please go back to your bed until 7?

Oh. Sure.

And that was that. She went right back to bed - until exactly 7:00 on the button. Wow! That was incredibly easy. Cool.

--------------------------------------------------------

Lastly, I thought you all should know that Sweetie has started to play more with her Paz Car. But not in the typical way that you'd think she'd play with it.

The girl can spend huge amounts of time putting guests into her car and carrying on imaginary conversations amongst them all.

Are we there yet?
Almost.

See all her guests?!



In her car there she's got: Paz, Dog, Pig and Rabbit (all the "guests" that came with the car) and then there's: Tigger, Winnie the Pooh, Piglet and Eeyore, plastic giraffe chop sticks, a parrot from the Littlest Pet Shop Happy Meal prize collection, a Surprise Ink marker, a bottle of infants Tylenol, a blue plastic butter knife from Sweetie's kiddie utensil set, a metal hair barrette, a scratched (losing) lottery ticket, a flip book showing cars going down San Francisco's Lombard Street, and last but not least (I think, anyway) - a wooden tree from her train set. And she's made them all safe and secure, held together with rubber bands and ribbon. How thoughtful.

She did drive it last night too, I should point out. All the way from our coffee table you see in the above picture to where you see it sitting right now. Woo hoo.

What a nut.

Oh, and she's of course still loving her kitchen. But even with that, she's found a new way to incorporate one of her other Christmas gifts - Mini Gear Oliblocks. See?!



She found all the the metal places - including that pole and all the metal screw heads she could find (most were even painted to match the kitchen, but she found them anyway) - so she could install all those fans.

That's Sweetie for you - she's got one great imagination. Oh, and she's crazy.

No comments: