Monday, November 06, 2006

Mama Monday #37

Theme: Heroes

Okay, MSO. I know you're trying to "cash in" on the new Heroes hit on T.V. these days. I personally don't go for that kind of show, but my Hubby absolutely loves it. Whatever - I'll indulge you anyway. Here goes. Get ready for the schmaltz fest...

I have several heroes - pretty much everyone in my family. I am blessed to come from a large, loving, close-knit family full of many interesting, intelligent and wonderful human beings. A retired military man, a few entrepreneurs, artists, free spirits, activists, healers, parents, students, babies, etc., etc., etc.... Each and every one of them leading full, happy, amazing lives in their own right.

Perhaps though, above all else, I look up to my brothers. I'm the youngest of 4, and the only girl. Sure, my brothers teased me and were annoyed by me when we were kids. That's the way it should be. But looking back on it, I wouldn't have had it any other way. My brothers took great care of me. They watched out for my wellbeing, helped me try different activities that they knew I really wouldn't/shouldn't be able to do, and they allowed me into their activities whenever I wanted (or, more acurately, whenever I whined enough and whenever my parents insisted that I be included. But who cares).

As kids, I got along best with my middle brother (Hi, Rob!). The youngest of the boys - he and I were too close in age to do anything but fight and bother each other. And the oldest of the boys - he and I were too distant in age (an 8 year difference) to care much either way about each other. But my middle brother - he took an interest in me. He volunteered to learn how to take care of some of my personal needs as a disabled child. And he was generally very caring and considerate to me. What a nice brother!

As adults, all my brothers impress me. My youngest brother of the 3 was courageous enough to follow his dreams and pursue a whole new career - recently going back to school and learning a brand new trade. Plus, he's an absolutely awesome family man! He's a wonderful father to his 3 kids and a caring, attentive husband as far as I can tell. He and I have grown much closer over the years, but I'm sure he still doesn't know how great I think he is and how much I love him. Yes, he's definitely one of my heroes.

My oldest brother of the 3 impresses me with his hardworking, busy lifestyle combined with his laidback, no pressure type of attitude. He works nights so that he's available for his growing family during the days and weekends. He and his wife and kids are all very intelligent, well-rounded, active people. Along with my sister-in-law, he has made a great foundation - both morally and financially - to provide for his family and to demonstrate how to live life to the fullest. What a hero!

Then there's my middle brother. He's still the best! He too is a wonderful family man. But he's more than that. He's very smart. He's very determined. He's patient, caring and concerned for others. And he knows what's right. Like most of us, he's had his share of troubles - life hiccups - forks in the road - whatever you want to call 'em. But he knows how to not sweat it. How to take the situation by the horns, whatever it may be, calmly weigh the options, and make the best choices possible for everyone involved. And, knowing how great he's doing in his career as well as seeing my wonderful niece and nephew he and his beautiful wife (Hi, Wendy!) are raising - I'd say every choice he's made has worked out just perfect! You go, Rob! You're my hero for sure!

My heroes are my family. My heroes are my brothers. True, it may be schmaltzy. But it's definitely true - I love my heroes so very much!

No comments: