Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The One Where I Ignore Even More Personal Blogging Standards *

* Warning - ho-hum daily life anecdote coming up....

Yesterday my mom, Sweetie and I went to visit my grandmother for the day. My cousin and her daughter met us there as well. We arrived around noon, first picking up a pizza lunch to share.

As usual, it took much bribery (in the form of leftover Halloween candy) and mama mental gymnastics to get Sweetie to eat any lunch whatsoever. In fact, when all was said and done, I think she may have managed to eat only 3 bites of a slice of pizza and perhaps a full crust and a half. That's it.

On the other hand, my cousin's daughter, who's not yet 3- years old, requested and ate 3 whole pieces of pizza! Wow! I could hardly believe it.

You see, eating has always been a challenge for Sweetie. She's just not very interested in wasting her time to put food in her mouth. It's our ongoing battle with her.

But for tonight's dinner, I came up with an awesome idea (if I do say so myself).

I made Sweetie a Rainbow Dinner! With her help, I found a food item for every color of the rainbow.

Red - dried strawberry slices

Orange - baby carrots

Yellow - corn

Green - peas

Blue - jelly on her PB&J roll up sandwhich (okay, so that one was a bit of a stretch. But I couldn't find anything truly blue to offer her).

Purple - apple sauce (What?! I don't know. Some crazy apple sauce we picked up that has berries mixed in. She didn't like it the last time she tried it, but tonight it filled it's purpley purpose to a T).

Yes, it was an eclectic mix of food options - but she loved it! And, while Sweetie didn't eat all of any of it (oh, wait. Yes - she ate all the strawberries), and she didn't even touch her peas (despite excitedly requesting that peas fill the green spot) - she did eat more food than I've seen her down in a long time.

Actually, I didn't mind that she didn't eat it all. I didn't expect that she would - it was a lot of food. Anyway, I wasn't sure what I was going to eat tonight. So I basically ended up finishing her food and then I was fed too. Yum!

I have to say, I'm proud of myself for coming up with this menu. I'm proud of Sweetie for getting excited with me about this idea. And I'm proud of her for eating a healthy amount of a healthy assortment of foods.

Yay, Sweetie!

No comments: